Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Green Police

Did you see this commercial during the Super Bowl?

My aunt Katy sent it to me (thanks Katy!). I def remember watching it during the game, but had no idea what product it was selling. Actually, I thought it was some sort of PSA for being green and caring for the planet when, in fact, it's an ad for a car.


This is one example of a memorable campaign that is advertising a forgettable product. But that is not why I'm posting today. The thing is, I loved this commercial. It was hilario with a grain of truth. Now hold on to your seats as I get all philosophical on you.


Like I said, the ad was funny. I laughed. I cried. I laughed out loud.


When I stop laughing and think about the messages the commercial is sending though, I'm conflicted. Is it good to be green? Of course. Do I think it is important to check ourselves and our homes, vehicles, workplaces, etc and call each other on to greenitude? Sure. Do I do this enough? Negative. But, should we be policing one another? For me, the "Green Police" is such a funny concept because it is just that... ridiculous.


I mean, of all the things to police in this country, should shades of green be close to the top of the list? Don't we have some bigger problems to face? Would I even want to live in a place where the government were that big even if it resulted in an extremely clean green beautiful country? Nope.


And, more practically, what fun would it be for kids to grow up and never throw their gum on the street, spray Aqua-Net in their hair, or shoot spit-balls that end up littering the yard?


I doubt the ad team was going that deep when they came up with the commercial idea or had any police-state agenda up their sleeves. What a fun blog this would be if I were a true conspiracy theorist, huh?


I decided to finish my deep wonderings and leave you with this deep thought about our Earth. By Jack Handy.

“I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.” - Jack Handy

7 comments:

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

You know, I think it's good to be aware of the environment and our effect on it. And I try to recycle as much as I can, reuse plastic bags, etc. BUT. There is nothing more insufferable than somebody telling you that what you're doing is not enough and making you feel guilty about it.

We had this "green team" at work and they asked that we all get rid of our trash cans. and what do we do with our trash? We recycle it or throw it in a central can OR we can get a small box or bag to put our trash in and then dump it in the central can. Like...they mean...A TRASH CAN? So get rid of your trash can but get a smaller trash can. Nothing about this makes sense.

mCat said...

That Jack Handy quote is the best.

I didn't see the commercial during the SB - but I did hear about it and all the rhetoric that came with it.

I'm with you, yeah we should do all we can, but I don't want any more government policing me.

That is all.

Anonymous said...

AMEN, Maria!

Uptown Girl said...

Amanda- I just joined the Green Team at my job (there are zero responsibilities, so it works for me). I just found out that we can recycle paper at work and I'm waiting for a bin for my office. That thing at your office sounds RIDIC! What the heck is the point of that?

M-Cat- I didn't hear any rhetoric... if it isn't on a blog I read then it isn't news to me!

Katy- who is this Maria?? My name is Uptown Girl...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, UG! I don't know what came over me!

Uptown Girl said...

Katy- maybe you should start calling me UG in real life, too. you know, for practice...

Anonymous said...

Will I pronounce it as one word "UG" or use the two letters separately?